Ronda Rousey, Amy Schumer, Taylor Swift…
I bet you’ve heard at least one of these names this summer. In fact, I would put money on it. These women are making a name for themselves. Their own name! They are taking charge of their lives, their careers. They do what they want. No apologies.
And those are just three names! There are so many more that come to mind. Legends. I am so inspired to be hearing so many stories about powerful, brave, strong, influential women in our world. And it’s not just celebrities – it’s you and me. We make a difference with our voices and our choices. I am proud to be alive in a time where women will not settle for less. We have a long way to go. Let’s do it together.
So, go ahead. Be unapologetic. Be fierce. Be you. Be a legend.
I want my name to mean something. I want to do great things in this world. I want to be a legend. I think I’ll go ahead and be one. What will you do? What will make you a legend?
Talk to me! (@JoannaHackman) #SpeaksToMeSunday
Hey Friday, how you doin? Hope you’ve all had a great week. Here’s my highlight reel…
FAVORITE FIVE FRIDAY
1. First of all… It’s Harry Potter’s birthday. You might think I’m crazy for knowing that. You might be right. But I am unashamed. Harry Potter and his adventures played a huge role in my life as I was growing up. They are still special to me today. Happy Birthday to Harry and the woman who brought him to life, J.K. Rowling.
Had to represent with my HP jewelry.
2. We found a great deal and jumped at the chance to book our flight to Salt Lake City for my big brother’s wedding! I am already looking forward to next May and celebrating the marriage of Jeremy and Sabrina. It’s going to be a week to remember!
3. The kitties have started coming to the window to watch me whenever I leave. It’s adorable. And it makes it harder to go!
4. We have been watching a lot of Face Off – an awesome SyFy show where make up/special effects artists compete in all kinds of challenges. It is just fascinating! I love to see how and what they create. I am so impressed by the talents and skills that I could never dream of possessing. Excited to be tuning in for the brand new season!
5. One of the coolest things Universal does for the guides is setting up the Annual Tour Guide Showcase. Industry professionals come to watch them perform, and the guides are given the opportunity to network. Well, after a couple of weeks of rehearsing and a super fun audition, I am ECSTATIC to share that Dan and I have BOTH been cast in the 2015 Guide Showcase! We are both thrilled and cannot wait to get to work in the coming months. #OhThoseHackmans are ready to go!
Happy Friday, right? Enjoy!
Sometimes Dan and I like to pretend our life is a movie. Musical numbers, dramatic monologues, explosive action sequences… And then we remember what would happen if we actually did a tuck and roll out of a moving vehicle.
My life is not a movie, but it doesn’t mean that some of the same rules can’t apply! In life, in movies… something is going to go wrong. It just is. At some point in each of our lives, things will not go as planned. But remember, in the movie, the most exciting part is when the unexpected happens.
Why should it be any different in our lives? What if we started looking at the all the things that went “wrong” as an opportunity for something exciting to happen? I think life would be a lot more fun that way.
How ’bout you? Have you experienced any plot twists lately?
It’s the day of the show y’all! Okay, not the show… Just the Friday post! Have at it…
FAVORITE FIVE FRIDAY
1. We are cruising through summer! Which means we are closer to our trip to Europe. I can’t even explain how excited I am. We are finalizing plans, buying various tickets, looking at expected weather… It all becomes more real every day. So, if anyone has any recommendations of places to visit or things to do in Paris or London – speak now! We want to see as much as possible. Europe here we come!!
2. Another thing that gets closer every day is the opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Hollywood. They are putting it up so quickly it must be magic. As I walked beside the site where it is being built this week, I found myself giggling out loud because it just looks so perfect. It’s everything I’ve been imagining since I was eleven years old and I began my adventures with Harry. I can’t wait to finally go to Hogwarts.
3. Speaking of the awesome place I work, Universal puts together some pretty awesome workshops and classes for the tour guides. This week we began a six-week class with instructors from Anthony Meindl’s Actor Workshop, and I was blown away. Jordan Shappell started us off with a bang. We dove right into scenes, and he coached us with such energy, intuition, and clarity. I learned so much, and I’m already pumped to go back next week.
4. The number of times I’ve been to the beach this year is pretty sad considering how close it is. There is something so refreshing about being near the ocean. Lucky for me one of my dearest friends just moved to Redondo, and the beach is only a few feet from her door. This week I got to spend time with Cammie AND go to the beach. Totally win-win. It was exactly the refresher I needed. Love that girl and her beach. Thanks for sharing it with me, Cam!
5. Obligatory cat pictures! Let’s be honest… They will always be on my favorite list. ;)
Have a great week, folks!
This. On my mind ALL the time right now as we are making plans and day dreaming about our trip to Europe in September. I’ve been to some pretty amazing places in my life, but I have never been to Europe. It’s always been a dream of mine, and I am ridiculously excited that I am finally going.
It’s certainly costing us some money to get there. We are trying to tighten our metaphoric belt so we have as much money to play with as possible. Because really… Would I rather spend money grabbing food here because I’m too lazy to cook OR would I rather have some extra money for some delicious food in Paris or London?! The choice is not hard when you put it in those terms. The money situation can be a little stressful, but I know in the end it will all be worth it. I’m going to feel a thousand times richer when my eyes have seen the Eiffel Tower and The Globe Theatre. When I’ve been to Disneyland Paris and the studio where they filmed Harry Potter. When I’ve eaten my fill of yummy foods I have never seen. I simply cannot wait!
Where have you traveled that has made you richer? Where do you want to go on your next adventure!?
How is it already Friday again?! 2015 sure seems to be sailing by. All I know is I need to make it to the beach (multiple times) before summer is over! Guess I better work on that. But for now let’s look back at my faves…
FAVORITE FIVE FRIDAY
1. I really loved my quote for Speaks To Me Sunday this week. (Check out the link if you missed it.) Lately, I have been thinking a lot about words and their meanings to us. How some words can just reach you on a deeper level, that not every work evokes the same emotion for each person. Words are just so personal. Kind, Fierce, Brave, Extraordinary, Astonishing. I would have to say those might be my top 5 words to aspire to. They make me feel something just a little bit extra. What about you?! What are your words?
2. Universal is such a cool company to work for. They have a softball league (among a few others) that employees can play for. Various departments form teams and they get together on Sunday nights to play. Well, I know what I am doing Sunday nights for the foreseeable future! No. I am not playing. But Dan is! He has been so excited about it. It’s been so long since he’s been able to be a part of a team and work some of those skills. I had a blast watching him along with other friends and co-workers this last week. Plus, Dan’s team won! Go Tour Warriors! :)
3. Lemon and Jack saw the vet this week, and they handled it like champs. We are so relieved that both kitties have a clean bill of health! Now we just can’t believe how big they’re getting. They make every day fun… even the ones where I have to get up before 5:00 AM. We love them so much.
4. Happy 60th Birthday, Disneyland! From playing host to some of my earliest adventures to becoming a favorite hang out over the last few years… Disneyland holds such a special place in my memories and my heart. I’ve shared so many precious moments at The Happiest Place on Earth with some of my Favorite People on Earth. Disney is magic. That’s all there is too it. I am so thankful for the man who made it all happen. Here’s to another 60 years of doing the impossible!
5. For all fans of The Lord of The Rings because this is too good not to share…
Happy Friday, You Fools! :P :)