I am a worrier by nature, but sometimes it consumes me. I fall down the rabbit hole of “what-ifs” and end up in a panic about things that may never happen.
Truthfully, I am well practiced in giving my fears up to God. Letting His peace overwhelm me instead. There is nothing quite like it. But lately, I have been spending a lot of time giving my burdens to God… Only to go back and snatch them back up again. I am hoarding my fears like they are something of value. Anyone else guilty of this? Sometimes it’s just hard to let go, to be so convinced I am correct in being afraid that I refuse the balm of peace that is offered.
I am sharing this post because I don’t want to be right. I want His peace. So, God, forgive me for picking up what I have already laid down. Help me trust that you are in control and you have plans to give me hope and a future. I offer up my worries, fears, and burdens because I know they are light for you to carry. Thank you for your peace that transcends all understanding. I will be still and rest in you.
How easy is it to slowly drown in all the busyness of every day life?
I get so caught up. Rushing from one thing to another, hurrying through each day to get to what? To get where? To go back to bed? To get to the vacation that’s months away? It’s enough to make a person crazy. Or at least incredibly boring.
There is so much more to life, right?!
Intelligent conversations to be had, people to love, places to explore, shoot-for-the-moon dreams to live, beautiful moments to treasure…
I want that life. Inhale. Exhale.
That life makes my heart soar. That life would make me feel like me.
We all have to go to work and make a living… But we don’t have to let that become the only life we are living. (And to those making a living doing what they love, I hope to join you!) I can’t imagine just working and paying bills. It’s not enough. I don’t want to be stuck treading water for the rest of my life. I’m going to inhale, exhale, and float.
Friday again🙂 How was your week? I’ve had an interesting couple of weeks here in sunny southern California…
1. Anyone who knows me understands that I am not a sports person (go Sportsball and all that jazz.). But when my friends want me to go to the Dodgers game, I will go. And, surprisingly, I will have fun! Live sporting events can be a great time, and we had a blast. My favorite part of going to games is always the food and socializing. We had delicious pizza and had great timing hanging out together. Thanks for making me a sports fan, Petersens!
2. Y’all, I had a rough couple weeks. I got sick, I had no voice, I was stuck at home, and I sliced my hand open trying to pit an avocado (so embarrassing). The only redeeming part of that time was my champ of a husband. He took such good care of me, rushed home to drive me to urgent care for my hand (shout out to our management and co-workers for making that possible!), and made sure that I had what I needed at all times. Man, I felt terrible last week, but I also felt super lucky.
3. Time with friends is always important to us. Over the last few weeks we’ve gotten to spend time with some friends from Nashville, and it was just a breath of fresh air. So thankful for the people who continue to show up in our lives… Acquaintances who be come friends, old friendships that get renewed, the people who become our chosen family.
4. I have officially decided to grow my hair back out! It’s been fun to be a short haired girl for a little while, but I miss my long locks. Truth be told, it was easier to manage (is that weird?) and it feels more like me. It’s nice to have the choice! And starting from where it is (just about to my shoulders) will give me length options to choose from. I’m excited.
5. I am also super excited to share that a short film Dan and I are in is an official selection for for the Downtown Los Angeles Film Festival! Can’t wait to share Before I Met you.
Ain’t that the truth! I’ve always worn my feelings very visibly. It can be a gift and a disaster depending on the situation. But it’s who I am.
Anyone else have traits or behaviors that are a blessing/curse?
Being a human is so fascinating. Also, this was too funny and too true not to share. 😂
This has been running through my mind for a couple weeks now. This is the somebody I want to be.
There’s been some craziness happening in and around my life lately. It can be easy to get swept away with it, to be completely caught up in myself. Turning that focus outward seems to make a world of difference.
I want to be known as an encourager, a positive force, someone people expect to show goodness and kindness.
I want to make you feel like a somebody. Because you are.
How can I do that for you? What makes you feel important?
Oh hi! It’s been an incredibly busy summer… Which means I haven’t been able to write a Friday post in a couple weeks. Don’t worry, I’m still here! I hope you are too.🙂 Here’s what we’ve been up to…
FAVORITE FIVE FRIDAY
1. We officially completed Whole30 AND our reintroduction phase. We added in off plan food groups one at a time to see how they make us feel. Neither of us experienced any issues. Now, our challenge is figuring out how and when to incorporate foods that we know aren’t super healthy. We have both felt so good on Whole30, and we don’t want to give that up. But we would like to add back in a little more variety! So, we are taking it day at a time. So far, so good. We have learned so much by focusing on this experience and what we eat. It’s safe to say we are better for it and we will continue this journey.
2. We wrapped our fantastic commericial class with Laurie Records. Talk about a learning experience! I thought I was pretty savvy about commercials having been cast in a few and auditioning quite a bit, but this opened my eyes to a whole new level of commercial acting. (Yeah, it is definitely different than for TV and film.) Each week we got to “audition” and then watch our tape afterward. As an actor, it’s so beneficial to be able to see what you look like on camera. It’s certainly helped me remedy (or at least make a start) a few bad habits. I’m also hoping to focus more on confidence and fun in the audition room. I think it will make a world of difference. Thank you, Laurie!
3. Time with friends and having a community is such an important thing for us. We’ve loved hanging out with awesome people over the last few weeks – some visiting from out of town, some our regular pals. This quality time is everything.
4. Dan started up softball again! It’s so fun to watch he and our coworkers battle it out on the field. (That works for sports, right?) It makes it even better knowing how much Dan loves it.
5. We’ve been getting out of the house more often, and it feels great. Dan and I can be serious homebodies. During the summer, we are pretty exhausted after our work week. Plus, we love snuggling in at home with our kitties. But there is a whole big world out there! We’ve been trying to be a little more adventurous and exciting. It actually seems to make us a little more energized than staying in. Cheers to more adventures!
And Happy Birthday, Harry Potter!
I just had to celebrate by making my Speaks To Me Sunday quote one from the Wizarding World. These might be the truest words ever spoken. There is something incredibly powerful about words. I am so incredibly grateful for the many wonderful words I’ve had the opportunity to devour over the years. Words that challenge me, bring tears to my eyes, incite me to laughter. Words I have to look up, words that stay with me long after I turn the page. It truly is magic.
Some of my favorite words will always be those of J.K. Rowling, and I am super excited to be reading something new of hers now that Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is out! Harry Potter meets theatre? Sounds perfect for this girl.
What are your favorite words?!
Twitter and Instagram: @JoannaHackman