So, I missed posting last week… the holidays, ya know? It was busy! But fun! So, here’s my faves for this week:
FAVORITE FIVE FRIDAY
1. New Year’s Eve! It’s a time for new beginnings and reflection… two things I really enjoy. It’s exciting, right?! Well, this year was a little strange. Dan had to work and I don’t really have any friends out here. It was looking to be a bit of a lonely New Year’s Eve in Los Angeles for this lady. Luckily, Dan’s Aunt and Uncle came to visit us for a couple of days. I got to go have dinner with them at the fancy pants restaurant where Dan works. I had a wonderful meal, great company, and the occasional moment with my husband. It was fantastic. After dinner, I had to take the train to head home, and (If you know me, this next part won’t be surprising at all) I took the wrong one. It took me a few stops to realize what I had done. I kept calm, inspected the map, and figured out what I needed to do to fix it like a big girl. I was pretty proud of myself. It sort of made me realize that I am an adult, and ultimately, I am responsible for myself. (Whoa, right?) So, I made it home safe and sound. Then, I tried to wait up for my husband and for midnight… Sadly, we don’t have cable so I couldn’t even watch the ball drop! So, I snuggled up in bed (bad idea) and watched (okay, okay, fell asleep to) Grey’s Anatomy. Then, in an awesome turn of events, my husband showed up several minutes before 2012 ended. We snuggled, talked about what we wanted to happen in 2013, and waited for midnight. I got my New Year’s kiss and promptly went back to sleep feeling thankful for a new start and that I got to greet 2013 with my best friend.
2. We have a fireplace in our apartment. I love it. I just like the look and feel of them in a room. Well, this week I found out I love my fireplace even more. All this time I thought it was just for show… turns out it actually works! We got the staff to come turn on our pilot light, and now we have a warm, cozy, working fireplace. (It’s on right now, by the way).
3. This week we’ve been having Winter Camp at My Gym. It’s a three-hour drop off with tons of fun games and activities. We get pretty silly with the kids, and it’s been a lot of fun. These are some of my favorite things the kids told me this week:
- 6-year-old girl: (After playing with me for five minutes) “Hey, I really love you.”
- 4-year-old boy: “You are the strongest girl ever!”
- 4-year-old girl: (One of my regular students… she brought her new dress to camp just to show it to me) “I had to show you my new dress. I just missed you when it was Christmas.”
How awesome are they? Kids say the best things.
4. So, I’ve mentioned before that Dan and I seem to be settling into our apartment a little more… we put up shelves, we’ve been doing new things with our bedding, etc. This week we got matching bedside lamps. I think this is a huge step in our relationship (haha!). And… not only did we decide we wanted to paint an accent wall in our room, it actually got painted this week. Dan did it while I was working, and it looks awesome! I didn’t get any good pictures today, but I’ll post some when I do! I love our new wall.
5. One of my goals for 2013 is to really start pursuing my career as an actor. I really desperately need to be taking classes. There is just so much to continue learning, stories to tell, people to meet, relationships to build. I miss the community of actors I had in Nashville, and I need that again. I need to feel ready to dive into auditioning and seeking representation. This week, I got to audit an incredible acting class and I can’t tell you just how amazing it felt. I left feeling more like myself than I have in months. I am a student. I am an actor. I need community. I need an outlet. I think I may have found exactly what I was looking for. Yes.