Hello! It’s another late in the day post. I got called into work (YAY!), and had yet to finish this edition. I’m sure you waited patiently all day for this, huh? 😉 Okay, probably not. BUT I am glad you stopped by! The wait is over…
FAVORITE FIVE FRIDAY
1. There is a fantastic group that I’ve been following called Earth Angels. They join, create, and spread the word about community service here in Los Angeles. I’ve wanted to be a part of their outreach for a little while now, and last weekend I got my chance. They’ve partnered with a great animal rescue organization called the Amanda Foundation. On Saturday I was trained by the folks at the Amanda Foundation so I can go in and help with their rescued animals any time. I can walk dogs, play with cats, and spread the world about these animals who are up for adoption. It was a wonderful day! It’s a fun way to give back, but it also meant a lot to me too. I can’t have a pet of my own right now – this is the perfect way to love on some animals who need it. I will be back SOON. Check out Earth Angels and The Amanda Foundation!
2. So, I know I already talked about the Oscars in my last post, but that was before they happened! We had a great time relaxing with a couple of friends and watching the 86th Academy Awards. I guessed a fair few right on my ballot, but there were some great surprises. As always, there were some ridiculous moments like John Travolta introducing Idina Menzel as Adele Dazeem and ordering pizza for Hollywood’s elite. There were also some truly inspiring moments. Lupita Nyong’o’s speech was so lovely – you could feel her joy. I loved that she said, “No matter where you’re from, your dreams are valid.” Well said. Also, I know Matthew McConaughey’s speech was a little bit strange, but I found some really great moments in it. People will criticize him for thanking God, but I have a ton of respect for him for acknowledging God’s presence in his life. I also kinda liked his idea of chasing after the future version of himself, the person he wants to become. Weird? Sure. Motivating? Most definitely. Keep moving forward, chase a dream, get excited about who you will become. Can’t wait to see what the next awards season will bring.
3. Universal is hiring another class of Tour Guides! We had the open call this week, and I could not have been more excited to be a part of it. It was such a privilege to be a part of the casting team. I love my job, and getting potential guides pumped up about the opportunity was a blast. 500 hopefuls showed up for the open call, 70 made it to the audition, and 39 advanced to the interview process. Who will make it to that tram?! I cannot wait to find out.
4. Being at the open call reminded me of when I was auditioning to be Guide a little less than a year ago! It was one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences I’ve had. As I was reflecting on it, I went back through some of my notes. Right after my class was hired we sat down to talk with one of our managers. In that meeting he gave us a lot of great advice about what we could expect as Guides. One thing I wrote down that has often come back to my mind is, “You cannot save time. You can only spend it. So, spend it wisely.” Clearly, this can apply to any situation in life. I’ve been thinking that over a lot this week. I don’t have all the answers about how I want to spend my time, but I certainly want to spend it well. I am working on that. How do you want to spend yours?
5. Who doesn’t love Minions, right?! Well, Universal Studios Hollywood is preparing to open our newest attraction: Despicable Me’s Minion Mayhem. Employee’s got an early look at the ride and the creation process. All I have to say is…
I think that’s Minion-Speak for “You don’t wanna miss this party!” So, come check it out this Spring!
That’s all she wrote. Enjoy your weekend! Spend it wisely 😉