Did you know that Jaws was the very first summer blockbuster? True story! Before Jaws bit into the big screen in June of 1975, most cinematic hits had winter openings. This was actually supposed to be the case with Steven Spielberg’s record-breaking film, originally due at the end of 1974. Unfortunately, the cast and crew were dealing with a temperamental co-star, the mechanical shark. Because the Great White’s debut was delayed, it was decided that they would use the movie’s beach setting to market it as a summer film. Well, the shark was worth the wait (and the trouble). It became the first film to ever gross more than $100 million, and earned the title of the first summer blockbuster.
Since then, the summer blockbuster has become a part of American culture. Every year producers plan for their big popcorn films to be released throughout the hottest months of the year, and we flock to the theaters like it’s our job. I love a good summer flick, don’t you? Escaping the heat and reality for a couple of hours, sitting comfortably with some candy while I settle in to enjoy the experience of being at the movies. Well, summer is upon us, and I already have several films I am looking forward to. Here are the ones I am most excited about (I am including their trailers so you can see for yourself!):
1. X-Men: Days of Future Past. Starring: Everyone. No seriously… James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Peter Dinklage… I could go on. Fox is going big or going home, and they certainly brought an all-star team to play. The movie will be set in two different time periods, bringing the cast of the first trilogy and the cast of the prequel together in what promises to be one nerd-tastic, action-packed, star-studded film. This is probably the movie I am most excited about. In theaters May 23rd!
2. The Fault in Our Stars. Starring: New it-girl, Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort. First, if you have not read this heart wrenching novel by John Green, shame on you. Read it before you see the film. Hazel and Gus are just a couple of teenagers falling in love, but they are anything but ordinary. Theirs is being called the greatest romance story of the decade, and it just happens to begin at a cancer support group. These characters will have you laughing out loud and wiping tears off of your face. They will change you. This is not a story to be missed. Okay? See it in theaters on June 6th.
3. Jersey Boys. Starring: John Lloyd Young (who won the Tony Award for originating the role of Frankie Valli on Broadway), Vincent Piazza, and Christopher Walken. The Broadway hit is coming to the big screen, and I am thrilled! I know that movie musicals are not for everyone, but this girl happens to be a fan. After seeing the musical on stage in Chicago a few years back, I fell in love with it. The music and the story of The Four Seasons is mesmerizing. I think it’s great that a whole new audience will get the chance to fall in love (especially with a few original cast members!). Try not to sing along on June 20th.
4. Maleficent. Starring: Angelina Jolie (along with her children), Sharlto Copley, and Elle Fanning. We all know the story of Sleeping Beauty. But haven’t you heard that there are two sides to every story? Disney takes a stride on the dark side to explore the background of Aurora’s nemesis. (Did you know she used to be a fairy!?) The MPAA claims there will be frightening images, but has given it a PG rating. Looks like it could still be one to bring the kiddos to see when it arrives on May 30th.
5. Guardians of the Galaxy. Starring: The voice of Bradley Cooper, Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and John C. Reilly. All of my favorite nerds are rejoicing about this film. It looks to be fast paced, funny, very cool visually. Honestly, I can’t tell you much about it from personal knowledge. I just know that it is one I will certainly be seeing in the theater. My husband is stoked about this movie! From what I have seen in the trailers, I am excited to see it too. Check it out on August 1st.
Those will be my must-see summer blockbusters this year. What are yours? Maybe I will see you at the theater. 🙂