Welcome to another edition of Favorite Five… whenever I can post it. Hey, I’m still here. It was a fun and busy week. Reminisce with me…
FAVORITE FIVE FRIDAY
1. When I first moved to L.A. my mom and I talked about going to Rodeo Drive together… walking into a store arms full of bags and saying, “Big mistake. Big. Huge. I have to go shopping now.” And walking out just like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. Well, we finally got to take on Rodeo Drive together! 🙂 I asked Mom if she wanted to yell “big mistake!” in some store and then run out, but she wasn’t into it. (Hehehe) So, we window shopped, gasped over prices, and had lunch at Tiffany’s. Literally – right outside of Tiffany! Cute little restaurant. 🙂 It was the perfect mother/daughter date, and I get to cross it off my list.
2. So, if you hadn’t guessed, my mom came to town! We had a fabulous couple of days hanging out, chatting, and going on adventures. My time with her is always refreshing. I don’t care how old you are – you always need your mama. I am so thankful for mine! Plus, it’s pretty cool that she is also my best friend. (Hi Mom! I know you are reading this… 🙂 Thanks for coming to visit me. ily!)
3. The Iliad Book Shop is magical place just around the corner. They sell all kinds of books second-hand. You never know what you might find – favorite children’s stories, acting must-reads, and best sellers. Their shelves are literally over flowing. Maybe it’s just me, but I love the feeling of being in a book store, surrounded by literature. Language is such a powerful thing. Dan, Mom, and I had a fabulous time searching for treasure in the Iliad.
4. Speaking of literature… Guys, July 31st was Harry Potter’s birthday. (Is it sad that I know that? Don’t care.) Harry Potter will always be one of my most favorite fictional characters. I literally grew up with Harry, Ron, and Hermione… which is why it meant so much when J.K. Rowling said…
It’s just the truth. If you have not read these books. I promise you – you are missing out. So get on that!
5. Some fabulous tour guides put together an event where we got to screen the new Universal film Get On Up on the Back Lot. Not only did we get to watch the film on the big screen the night it premiered… we were also treated to a once in a lifetime Q&A with one of the films stars, Nelsan Ellis. (Some of y’all might know him better as Lafayette from True Blood) Wow. I don’t really have words for that experience yet other than I am so thankful. It was exactly what I needed to hear. He was so humble and had such fantastic insight. He made me think about things that had never even occurred to me as an actor before. My two favorite things he said (yes, I took notes) were, “I think about my characters like I think about myself. I have to believe in the person. If I don’t, y’all won’t believe in him either.” and “Don’t stop fighting for your dream.” It was really powerful to listen to someone with a background similar to my own who is having great success. I also loved hearing that while, to me (and lots of others), he is someone who is successful… he has made it to a place that I would love to reach… he is still working, he is not done. All that to say, I left last night truly inspired. Plus, the film was a lot of fun! Go see it! Thank you, Nelsan, for giving your time and sharing so much with us. Now, it’s time to go out and fight!!
Enjoy your week, beautiful people!