Friday, y’all! It was a really great week…
FAVORITE FIVE FRIDAY
1. We took a little trip to the IMAX theater to see Interstellar this week. Ohmyword. What an experience. The world that Christopher Nolan created in this film was so powerful. So many unique thoughts, ideas, questions, relationships. Matthew McConaughey and Jessica Chastain were both brilliant, and there was something so beautiful about watching a “father/daughter love story” as McConaughey has called it. Seeing it in IMAX made me feel like I was right in the middle of it. If you don’t know, large portions of this movie take place in space. SPACE. Feeling like you are right in the middle of space is terrifying. But it was pretty stellar. (See what I did there?) Go check it out!
2. I finished reading Amy Poehler’s new book, Yes Please, and I already want to read it again. I LOVE AMY POEHLER. GAH! Sorry. I just had to get that out there. I love that she lays it all out on the table in this book. She is so honest about herself, her experiences, her highs and lows. This book is so brave. I laughed out loud constantly. I was secretly (or not so secretly anymore) pleased whenever I read something that made me think of my life. Oh, Amy. You just get me. I want to share a few of my favorite segments:
“So here we go, you and me. Because what else are we going to do? Say no to an opportunity that may be slightly out of our comfort zone? Quiet our voice because we are worried it is not perfect? I believe great people do things before they are ready.”
“… I could decide who I was. My only job was to surround myself with people who respected and supported that choice. Being foolish was the smartest thing to do.”
“Ambivalence is key. You have to care about your work but not about the result.”
Amy Poehler, I am going to make the choice to say “Yes Please” to my life. Thank you, thank you for sharing yours.
3. A lot of television shows are filmed at Universal, and I get to tell people about them every day. One of these shows is the hit singing competition, The Voice. Dan and I have been fans of the show since my friend, Loren, was a contestant in Season 3. We’ve been trying to get tickets to see a taping of it for ages, and this week it finally happened! We got to go watch the live taping of the results show on Wednesday, and we had a really fun time. Before the show there were delicious food trucks to choose from and souvenirs for purchase. (We got ourselves a mug. Had to happen.) Then one of our fellow guides took us on a tram down to Stage 12 where they film the show. It was exciting to see all the judges in person, and the artists all sounded so good! It was all a pretty quick process, and we had a good time. I’m glad we got a chance to see it from the audience’s perspective. I feel like I can paint an even better picture of the show when I tell my guests about The Voice.
4. I helped photograph a wedding this week! That is a sentence I didn’t think I would ever say. I have always loved photography… from carefully taking pictures with a disposable camera as a kid to documenting every hang out with my high school pals. I love having the memory of a photograph. It’s just so special. Well, if you read my blog… you have probably seen many a fabulous photo taken by my talented friend, Leah. She is a rock star photographer. This week she was booked to shoot a lovely beach wedding. We hadn’t seen each other in a little while so she asked me to come with her to hang out. Then, she had the brilliant idea to make me her assistant and let me play with her secondary camera. She gave me a Photography 101 lesson, and then I just got to play! I loved getting to “help” shoot this pretty little wedding, and it was one more thing to cross off my 101 in 1001. Maybe I will be adding Photographer to the list of things I want to be when I grow up. 😉
5. Eight years ago my best friend walked into my life. I’m so glad he is still here by my side.
Want to hear something crazy? (If you don’t like adorable love stories then stop reading this. Now. No, really. Right now. Okay, I warned you.) The first time Dan and I were in the same place at the same time was in 2004. I was only 15, and at rehearsal camp for my Summer Tour with The Continental Singers. I didn’t know who he was at the time, but I watched him perform with The Jeremiah People.
Flash forward to 2006, I am 17 and on tour again. This is the first time I ever hear his name. (He is super popular, ya know.) Several months later I am at rehearsal camp for my tour with The Jeremiah People (Full Circle), and I finally match a handsome face with the name. But we still don’t meet.
Then, at the end of 2006, our tours collided. We were introduced. We were immediately smitten. We spent an evening hanging out and getting to know each other. By the end of the night we were holding hands. (IKNOWRIGHT?!) I am not sure who reached for who first, but we have been holding hands ever since. (Except for the majority of the two years when we were long distance, but you know what I mean).
People say, “When you know, you know.” Well, they are not wrong. I guess I am one of those people. We just knew. 🙂 It’s amazing to think how long this man has truly been in my life. I am thankful for him every single day.
Hey, I’ve been talking too much. I want to hear about your week! Anything great happen?
Share with me in the comments below. 🙂