The first Friday of the New Year! It’s been a really lovely week…
FAVORITE FIVE FRIDAY
1. I’m feeling pretty proud for sticking with my goals for 2015 thus far. It’s only a week in, but every day is a step forward. I feel confident in my choices, and I’m going to keep moving and growing. How are you doing with your resolutions? It’s never too late to make a change and you don’t have to wait for Monday (or a new year) to begin!
2. My favorite book of 2014 was a novel called Red Rising by Pierce Brown. I was drawn in by the similarities to books like Ender’s Game, The Hunger Games, and Lord of the Flies. I kept reading because of what made it different. I could not put it down. The story was intriguing and unique, the characters were multi-faceted and fascinating. I was immediately a fan, and excited that I had found the band wagon before it had even started rolling. For the last year I’ve been howling about this book to anyone who would listen. Well, I decided I had to reread it so it was fresh in my mind when the sequel, Golden Son, came out. I finished it this week, and it was equally as good as I remembered. I fell in love with the story and the characters all over again. If you haven’t read Red Rising, do it! Bonus? You won’t have to wait a year to read the second book!
3. Golden Son came out this week! To celebrate the debut Book Soup put on a release party and book signing with the author. Pierce Brown read us the preface, thoughtfully answered questions, and spent a little time with everyone getting their books signed. Hearing his references and mannerisms made me sure that he and Dan could seriously be BFFs. Such a cool guy. We had never been to a book signing before. It was a really fun new experience, and I think it has officially made us certified book nerds. Proud of it.
4. Of course, I have to talk about Golden Son itself. Whoa. Seriously. I am still reeling from the journey this book took me on. I’m pretty sure it might be even more dynamic than Red Rising. One of the things I loved about reading Golden Son was that it felt like getting together with your old friends and catching up. Then, you get to learn more about your favorites and meet new faces that completely change the game. Character entrances that had me laughing out loud, reveals that made me cry, plot twists that smacked me in the face… This story leaps off the pages to become a full on experience. Guys, I can’t even break it down to talk about it yet. I am already thinking of rereading it. Bravo, Pierce Brown. You are kind of brilliant. I am counting down the days until the final installment, Morning Star, is released. Ya know… next year. **sigh** Do yourself a favor and read this book.
5. First Disney trip of 2015! 60 years of Disney, y’all! How cool is that?! We got to spend the day with our besties – laughing too loud, being ridiculous, and riding all our favorites. It was a pretty prefect Disney day. And it certainly won’t be the last!
Happy Friday, Friends!
Have a great weekend!