Hey y’all! So, I missed last week. With work and Thanksgiving festivities, it didn’t even cross my mind until Friday had come and gone. So here’s the scoop on the last two weeks…
FAVORITE FIVE FRIDAY
1. Thanksgiving! I wish there was more than one day each year dedicated to reminding us of all we have to be thankful for. Trying to keep an attitude of gratitude all year long will change your life! I am working to live that. It is not always easy and I mess up. But man, I am a lot happier when I remember to be thankful. This Thanksgiving I was particularly thankful for holiday pay at work, having the money to get a new tire after I put a hole in mine while driving around Los Angeles, a helpful and understanding husband, and friends who made me food and invited me into their home to celebrate.
2. Last week I wrote a letter to my 16 Year Old self. How I wish she could have read it! I am grateful for all of the experiences – good and bad – that have made me who I am today, but I sure wish I could have whispered a few secrets and a little love into her ear. Writing the letter now gave me a sense of catharsis, and who knows… maybe it will speak a little love to someone else who needs it.
3. I love traditions. I really love Christmas traditions! After Thanksgiving (thank you very much) we went and picked our tree! I grew up with a fake tree, but Dan grew up with real trees. So, we have made it our tradition to search for a lovely tree each year. (I can’t believe this is our 5th Christmas as a married couple!) This year I felt particularly drawn to some adorable, itty-bitty trees. I don’t think I have ever had a tree that was shorter than me, but that’s what I wanted this year! We found a cute little one and brought her home. Then we decorate! (Okay, like the next day we decorate.) We always watch The Muppet Christmas Carol while we Christmatize our house. I can’t imagine how many times we have both seen that movie. We sing along to the songs and say our favorite lines. It’s super dorky, but super fun. Dan always puts the lights on – it’s just a guy thing in my family. Then we each put up our favorite ornaments. We’ve collected quite a few over the years. My family loves ornaments! Dan and I try to get new ones when we travel or go on adventures together. Every time I unwrap an ornament it’s like unwrapping a memory. This seriously is the most wonderful time of the year.
Picking out our baby tree.
4. Choosing to be an actor means choosing a crazy life. It’s just one of those things! I’ve realized lately that I have a very strange acting pattern here in L.A. I seem to audition in waves. I will have 9 auditions in a week and then nothing for the next few. It has been happening like that for several months now. I’m not sure what that’s about, but I have learned to be prepared for the unexpected. I think it has made things so much easier by just accepting that anything can happen and I will meet it when it does. I will choose to work hard and be as ready as I can be. I want to make sure I am giving my best at every audition, interview, and meeting. This week was a week of many auditions, and it felt so good to get out there. I’m already looking forward to catching my next wave. So, here is to being ready and being your best.
5. My dear friend and awesome mentor, Alison, came to Universal to do a seminar with the Tour Guides this week. Oh my word. It was such an amazing night. I just feel so proud of the talented, brave people who I work with AND so blessed to have Alison and her brand of magic at work in my life. It was really special to get to bring these two worlds together, and I am just feeling really thankful for all the good in my life.
Thanks for being awesome.